Sunday, June 13, 2010

Self & Image

I have enjoyed making art since the age of seven. It all began when my father and I sat at the kitchen table and he showed me how to draw a plane flying at an angle and the profile of a person standing, for a school assignment.

My grade was excellent, but that was only icing. Since then, making art has grown into a way of meditating on life and existence. The paintings and drawings are the tracks, the fading notes of a vast and edgeless inner music.

Here is a recent portrait of Jamie and I. We are not in the painting physically; and yet, friends who know us swear they can see us both.



Of course there is nothing strange about this. Each of us is present in a manner than can not be reduced to ideas or words. Nor can it be reduced to images.

No comments:

Post a Comment